The Power Of Affirmative Prayer
I used to have issues with the word “prayer.” It was a block that I couldn’t let go of. I felt like it was something I wasn’t allowed to use when I left the Christian religion of my youth. And I suppose it’s because it was ingrained in me from a young age that Christians are the only people who pray. I’m not really sure why that was a stipulation - maybe because the teachings of my youth said that if you don’t pray, you’re not Christian? I’m not really sure why that was a thing for us.
But in 2000, I found something called “Affirmative Prayer.” It’s also called “Spiritual Mind Treatment.” And while it still took me a few more years to realize that prayer wasn’t about the folding of the hands, or getting on one’s knees, or addressing your Higher Power as “God” or “Jesus,” I found this process useful in helping to manifest in my life through the Law of Attraction.
What Is Affirmative Prayer?
Affirmative Prayer is also known as "Spiritual Mind Treatment." It comes from a book called The Science Of Mind, by Ernest Holmes.
It’s the foundational practice taught by Ernest Holmes, and thereafter by the Centers for Spiritual Living, which sprang from Holmes’s teachings. If you're interested in the book, click here for entire text of The Science Of Mind at Sacred-Texts.com.
Ernest Holmes wrote:
Treatment is the art, the act, and the science of consciously inducing thought within the Universal Subjectivity, for the purpose of demonstrating that we are surrounded by a Creative Medium which responds to us through a law of correspondence. In its more simple meaning, treatment is the time, process and method necessary to the changing of our thought. Treatment is clearing the thought of negation, of doubt and fear, and causing it to perceive the ever-presence of God.
At its simplest, a Spiritual Mind Treatment, or Affirmative Prayer, is a method of practicing the Presence of a Higher Power. And what’s great about it is that no one else defines what that spiritual power is for you - you get to decide that as you’re writing the prayer. So your definition of God is whatever resonates best with you, and no one tells you what that should be in order to get the best of a spiritual mind treatment.
How Do You Use Affirmative Prayer?
So when we do affirmative prayer, or spiritual mind treatment, there are 5 basic steps.
- You begin with a statement of recognition of your Higher Power. It doesn’t matter what you call that Higher Power - the point is to pick the name or title that resonates with you.
- You then go into a statement of unification. What you do here is recognize that you are one with your Higher Power, that you are part of it, and it is part of you.
- Next is realization. This is where you call the qualities of your Higher Power that already present inside of you to come forth in your life.
- Step four is the giving of thanks. I call this appreciation station. LOL We give thanks and appreciation and love to our Higher Power because we know that what we are asking for is already done.
- And the final step is the release. This is where you let go of your thing and you let your Higher Power take over. If you hold onto your request, the energy doesn’t go out to do it’s work - it stays stuck, and stagnant. So instead, we release the thing we just prayed about into the hands of our Higher Power to rearrange situations in our favor.
In my own usual form of Affirmative Prayer, I accomplish these steps in my own words, but there's a slightly different arrangement. Here's how I use this process:
- Step one is the recognition that Spirit exists. I say, “Guardians, Guides, and Ancestors, Godself, God Herself, Spirit of the Highest Truth and Compassion, I thank you for all that has been, is now, and will be in my life.”
- In step two, which is unification, I say, “I know that I am one with you, for within me your light resides.”
- Step three is basically where we make our requests. I will often start with giving thanks for little things in my life that I appreciate - like a comfortable bed to sleep in, food in my belly, a regular paycheck, my partner, and so on. And then I move into my requests. I come from the heart. I don’t make this part too formulaic. And I can say that I have never been at a loss for words here. I tend to feel like Spirit comes in and takes over and prays through me.
- Step four is the gratitude. I give thanks for the things that I want to see happen, as I know that they will, sooner or later.
- And finally, step five is the letting go. It’s probably the one piece most people - myself included - have the most difficulty with, but if you can end the prayer with the statement of letting go, and then go do something else to occupy your mind, it’ll help you not to pick your issue back up right away. You may get some inspired action to take from your intuition that will cause any issue you’re praying about to become a super-simple thing to handle. In my letting go statement, I repeat the first part of my prayer - “Guardians, Guides and Ancestors, I thank you for all that has been, is now, and will be in my life. I know that I am one with you for within me your light resides.” And then I say, “And so it is, and it is so.” And sometimes I will end by saying “Sat nam” three times, which means “My name is Truth,” and is a beautiful way to end prayer.
Regardless of whether you call it “affirmative prayer” or “spiritual mind treatment,” this process is about communicating with the Divine in a way that works for you. Regardless of whether you call your Higher Power God, Goddess, Spirit, Light, Universe, Source, or any other name or title, prayer is a tool you can use.
What About Law Of Attraction?
Law of Attraction is about being in a good-feeling place - the better you feel, the more joy you express, the more joy you tend to draw to you because, as we know, “like attracts like,” and what we focus on is what we tend to receive more of. If, like me, you’ve left the religion of your youth, recognize that prayer isn’t a religious tool - it’s a spiritual tool. It doesn’t matter what religion happens to be in your background - if you can embrace who you are at your core now, you have a better chance of thriving, and letting love flow through you in this life.
I’d like to hear whether or not you’ve used this process, and how it’s worked out for you. Please leave comments below if you’re so inclined to share.